Saturday, March 27, 2010

top 10 reasons to buy vintage



This past week I visited the King of Prussia mall and though I have been there at least 50 times, for some reason I was blown away by it this time. It sort of disgusted me as I thought about how addicted we are as people to possessions and more specifically, to our image. People are told how to dress and what to buy by manipulative advertising campaigns. Now don't get me wrong, I love fashion as much as the next girl, but I do believe that by attempting to only dress in second hand clothing, I am somehow fighting the masses and helping the environment...

MY TOP TEN REASONS TO BUY VINTAGE

1. Almost all the clothes you see in the mall are designed to LOOK vintage, but are not authentic.
2..You are not supporting child labor in third world country sweatshops.
3. You are caring about the environment by recycling and repurposing.
4. Though you will often pay more for vintage, vintage clothing was made well, and it has been able to survive decades b/c of it! Come on, your target shirt will only last what, maybe 2 seasons?
5. That piece of vintage clothing or vintage houseware carries really cool history with it.
6. Your wardrobe will be unique, you will not be wearing the same shirt as a few thousand others.
7. It connects you to individual sellers and other vintage lovers, and often fosters relationships.
8. Your money is supporting small business owners instead of the corporate giants. 
9. If you know how to shop,  you will be saving tons of money!!
10. When you find that perfect vintage piece, that you have been searching for, there is nothing better! It makes shopping and creating a wardrobe much more fun and creative.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails