Friday, August 6, 2010

wisdom.

This is an excerpt from my devotional that I had to read and re-read. Though I have heard some of it before, Chambers has a way of bringing it home to me. I feel like it answers a lot of my questions about calling & purpose in an incredibly simple way so I thought I would share it. 


There comes the baffling call of God in our lives. The call of
God can never be stated explicitly; it is implicit. The call of God
is like the call of the sea, no one hears it but the one who has the
nature of the sea in him. It cannot be stated definitely what the
call of God is to, because His call is to be in comradeship with
Himself for His own purposes, and the test is to believe that God
knows what He is after. The things that happen do not happen by
chance, they happen entirely in the decree of God. God is working out
His purposes.

If we are in communion with God and recognize that He is taking us
into His purposes, we shall no longer try to find out what His
purposes are. As we go on in the Christian life it gets simpler,
because we are less inclined to say - Now why did God allow this and
that? Behind the whole thing lies the compelling of God. "There's a
divinity that shapes our ends." A Christian is one who trusts the
wits and the wisdom of God, and not his own wits. If we have a
purpose of our own, it destroys the simplicity and the leisureliness
which ought to characterize the children of God.


-My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails